- Community Development
- Building Department
- Building Permits
- Contractor's Licenses
- Demolition Permits
- Plumbing Permit Requirements
- Roofing Permits
- Solar Panel Permits
- Window Installation and Replacement Permits
The mission of the Building Department is to provide quality services to the community in a manner that is comprehensive, efficient, knowledgeable and helpful. The Building Department promotes and insures that all development in the city of Glenwood Springs is constructed in accordance with the standards of safety established by the Uniform Codes.
Building Code Information
On June 6, 2022, the City will require building permits to use the 2021 editions of the International Building Code, International Residential Code, International Plumbing Code, International Mechanical Code, International Property Maintenance Code, International Existing Building Code, International Energy Conservation Code, International Fire Code, International Fuel Gas Code, and the International Swimming Pool and Spa Code, and the 2020 editions of the National Electrical Code and National Electrical Safety Code. (The City of Glenwood Springs uses the State of Colorado for our Electrical inspections, and defers to the current edition as adopted and enforced by the State of Colorado.)
Direct E-mail to file building permit applications
Now you can E-mail building permit applications directly to the Building Department and they will not be lost in someone’s personal E-mail.
Please scan your document and its attachments and send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If a plan review deposit is required, we will contact you for payment which is due before we perform the plan review. When the permit is ready for pickup, we will notify you by E-mail. You can make payment for the permit fees by check or by credit card.
INFORMATION FOR CONTRACTORS
- We have an E-mail address for submitting Building Permit Applications, Contractor’s License Applications, Insurance Certificates, and Receipts for permits or licenses. Please E-mail these items to Building@cogs.us.
- When filling in your application form, please use black type or black or dark blue pen. Pencil, red and turquoise do not reproduce well.
- Please use the subject line of your E-mail to identify the address and the project, i.e. 1234 Main Street – Windows.
- If you are calling or sending an E-mail about a building permit application, please include the address in your inquiry.
- If you have several documents to scan for an application, please scan the 2-page permit application form as a separate attachment.
- All payments due for permits and licenses can be made online. Please make payments here by selecting Click Here to Pay a Bill via Credit/Debit Card or E-Check; then choose Contractor License or Building Permit and follow the prompts to make the payment. Please E-mail a copy of your receipt to Building@cogs.us.
- A Board of Examiners Standardized Testing (BEST) card is evidence that you have passed a written test on the code that applies to your contractor licensing category. The BEST card is recognized by cities and towns in the Roaring Fork Valley and west to the town of Silt. The City of Glenwood Springs gives the BEST test by appointment only. Call the Building Department at 970-384-6411 to schedule your appointment.
- Building Permit Application
- As-built Guidelines
- Building Code
- Building Guides
- Climactic & Geographic Design Criteria
- Contractor's License Application
- Demolition Permit Application
- Heat Load Calculation Design Requirements
- Equipment Sizing & System Design Requirements
- State Plumbing Permit Requirements
- Reports-Monthly & Yearly Permit Activity
- Solar Panel Permits
- System Improvement Fees
Building Permits and Contractor Licenses
101 W. 8th Street
Glenwood Springs, CO 81601
Phone: : 970-384-6450Fax: : 970-945-8582
Se Habla Español
Inspection LinePhone: : 970-384-6432
Victor MerazBuilding OfficialPhone: 970-384-6410
- Building Plan Review
- Contractor Licensing & Information
- Inspections @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Do I need a permit to construct a shed?
- Do I need a permit for electrical or plumbing work?
- Do I need a permit to replace windows?
- Do I need a permit to replace siding?
- I need to replace my water heater or furnace. Do I need a permit?
- My friend and I want to put a new roof on my house. Do we need a contractor's license?
- What happens if I start a building project without a permit?
- How do I schedule an inspection?
- What codes apply to construction work in Glenwood Springs?
- Do I need a contractor's license to work in Glenwood Springs?
- How do I find out if my contractor is licensed to work in Glenwood Springs?
- What are the requirements to obtain a contractor's license?
- What is a BEST card?
- When and where can I take a BEST test?