What if I already have a wildlife resistant container?

The contractor will service some existing wildlife carts (to be determined on a case-by-case basis). Wildlife Resistant Trash service is on an annual basis (12-month minimum).

Mountain Waste and Recycling will be able to service existing wildlife carts in the "Rear Load Truck" section of town. The rear load trucks are manually operated thus owner carts can be utilized. The rest of town will be serviced by Automatic Side Load trucks and will require these addresses to utilize compatible carts leased from Mountain Waste as part of this program. The cost of the wildlife-resistant service reflects the higher capital cost of the carts and the average damage rate at approximately 1.5 to 2.5 years for cart replacement.

Households that already have wildlife-resistant carts that are not compatible with the service trucks have the option to participate in the wildlife cart buy-back program which will cover up to 75% of the original purchase price of the cart with a max of $225 per household. 

Show All Answers

1. The latch on my new wildlife-resistant cart isn't working.
2. What can be recycled in the curbside carts?
3. What happens if I put trash in my recycling cart?
4. What if I have more trash than fits in my cart?
5. How will billing for the new system work?
6. What is the pricing for carts?
7. What if I have a problem with my cart?
8. Who does the PAYT program include?
9. Why is PAYT being implemented now?
10. How will residents get new services?
11. What if I don’t sign up for service?
12. What is the plan for carts?
13. What if I already have a wildlife resistant container?
14. What if I take my trash to the Recycle Center/landfill/other and don’t need service?
15. Can I still get food waste and yard waste collected?
16. Does PAYT include curbside organics (compostables) collection?
17. Non-eligible Service Addresses for PAYT
18. What do I do with yard waste?
19. What if I don’t want to recycle?
20. Can I opt out?